Sunday, April 10, 2011

John Steinbeck





Kris and April gave us a book by John Steinbeck called Travels with Charley.....in it he says and I quote" When I was very young and the urge to be somewhere else was on me,I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle will still raise the hair on my neck and set my foot to tapping.The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, I don't improve; in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable." This describes me perfectly!! I have always loved to travel, to see new sights, smell new smells and meet new people.I traveled a lot once the boys got into their teens and even gave a lot of thought to becoming an ex pat somewhere. I took sailing lessons entertaining the thought of anchoring off some exotic isle and watching the sunset just off the deck, but something was always missing....
I got very lucky and found a wonderful man that feels the same way and a daughter that is willing to go anywhere at all. We are off on a lifetime of traveling!!
We are currently at Durango Rv Resort in Red Bluff and it is beautiful! It sits right along the Sacramento River with a nice hiking path. The site we are in is about 100' long!! And has a lovely grassy area where we can sit and read in the sun. Irie got a bath today and she really enjoyed rolling around on the grass, too, and Lisa "talked" to Gary on her cell phone.
We got our first propane fill (piece of cake!) today. I was pretty proud of myself when the refrigerator started beeping and flashing "no fl" I knew exactly what to do to get it running!! The fuel flow had been disrupted is all!! THAT felt good! :0)
We will spend another day here and then it's off to Canyonville in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment