Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sheridan WY







We arrived here 2 days ago. Let's see.....Got off in a timely manner and stopped in Hardin, MT for diesel and sandwiches. It's so nice to be able to just find a spot and not have to leave the rig. I also started a crock pot. While we were eating lunch, I look across the street and what do I see?? MORE BUTTCRACK!!! WTH??? This guy's pants were so low, I practically had the full moon!! I tried to grab the camera, but was too late....
Just kinda settled in to our spot in Sheridan Wyoming....nice spot, windy (again) with a nice dog run that Irie loves! Man, that dog can move!!
We tried having her sleep with us the last 3 nights, but it just isn't working. Between me and my night sweats (Fibro) and her 102 degree body against me or she is the other way and digging her nails into our backs. The bed is supposedly a queen, but it's more a small full. And we aren't tiny people, either!! LOL!!
Yesterday was the 3rd (our anniversary, by month), but we couldn't fly our Grenada flag......just too windy!!! We decided to do our tourist thing and went to see Little Bighorn Battlefield and Custer's Last Stand. Alan is a huge history buff...he'd make a great docent!! It really comes home in your heart when you view the whole valley where the Indians lived in peace and then were told they had to leave. I'd fight, too!! It's such a shame what we humans do to each other.....makes me sad. Beyond the battle and Custer gettin' his......I did learn an interesting fact. You know how the Indians used all of any animal they killed? Well.....hold on guys, this may make you cringe....they even used the scrotum!!! Dried the thing (and it is about 4" round) and used it for rattles!!
We had lunch in an Indian cafe (the only obviously whites in there) and our waiter asked where we were from. Alan replied, "We live full time in an RV and travel" to which this cutie pie said "Oh, Free Spirits, eh?" I liked that a lot. Free Spirits. We do have a lot of freedom to come and go as we like......something to remember when our little home feels...well...little!!
On our way home to our RV resort (Peter D's), we took a backroad that Peter told us about. Very pretty and at times, you could really feel how it would have been to travel in a wagon.....man, we're spoiled nowadays. Stopped along the way at Rosebud Battlefield. The road in was a rutted mess with huge bulls and horses along side. There was a battle between soldiers and Indians, but what stuck in my mind was the story of a sister seeing her brother's horse shot out from under him and soldiers closing in on him. She jumped on a horse and raced through bullets and soldiers, grabbed up her brother and got him to safety. They named it after her and her courage. I got to thinking about that. I know I'd do that for one of my family. Love lives in my heart and, for me, is the very most important thing in the world!
We have been looking ever since we got into Montana for bison.....nothing!! They gotta be somewhere!! I've seen more in CA than anywhere....crazy! Alan is gonna ask the RV owner today.....maybe we'll find some yet. We'll have to leave Irie home....she barks at statues, for Pete's sake!! She went ballistic with the bulls in the road!
Ok, Alan is back and there IS a place for bison and elk!! We're off!!

1 comment:

  1. The Little Big Horn Battlefield was an awesome place to visit. To be able to see the actual place and visualize how things unfolded. They do a great job with roadside maps to explain what happened. Just standing on the little hillside where Custer's Last Stand took place was very moving. To imagine what those troopers must have felt seeing thousands of Indians all around them, and knowing there were not going to get away. So sad that they had to be led by a Commander who was a glory hound and would not listen to those who knew what was going on, like his Indian Scouts. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete