Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Leaving Salem tomorrow












We have enjoyed our stay here...it's been quiet (maybe a little too quiet). We are often the only rig here. The day before yesterday, we went to Pipestone National Park. It is a sacred American Indian place where they quarry for the pipestone to make ceremonial peace pipes. The stone is very soft. I used a saw on it and it cut very easily and filed to a fine dust. But it sure looks hard to get at.....it's hidden under layers of granite! It's reddish in color...made even redder after they apply beeswax. There was an awesome museum with people working on the stone and a great walk to a quarry.
On the way home, we decided to take a different route back thru Madison and ended up on 17 miles of dirt road!!! My back felt like a jack hammer was pounding it! On the way, though, I spotted buffalo, so we cut off that road and I got out to get pictures. I thought they'd just stay there, but they all scattered. Alan was able to get these shots using the zoom. The last pic of the skeleton on the Harley is at the entrance to "our" town...kinda scary! LOL! I went into town yesterday to pick up our mail and license plates for the truck, and also the grocery store. I had on a tank top and noticed more than a few people checking out my tats.....you can see it in their eyes "OK...here's a grandma, but she's got tattoos, for heaven's sake!" It's almost like they are wondering if I've got a knife or a gun!!! Come to think of it, I DO carry a knife!! A Swiss Army knife! LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment