Saturday, March 26, 2011

Scary Day!!

     Thursday, we were had to be up at 5:30 am to get the RV ready to go for some repair at a Freightliner shop. Someone from Camping World drove it over there. We were told it should be back by noon. Well, at 1pm, checked and it had not even gone into the shop until 12:45!! So, we had to kill some more time. Decided to drive to where it was at to see what was up. When we got there, the RV was sitting outside. Asked the guy inside about it and he said it was done and that Camping World knew. I asked who was going to drive it back, and the guy said " No one until the bill is paid". This guy had the personality of a rock!!  I called to CW and told them what was up and they said they would take care of it. A couple of phone calls by CW got the bill taken care of. The Rock hands me the keys and says "It's all yours". Gasp!!  I'm driving this thing back??  Soooo, I get it fired up with Carol and Lisa in the truck behind me. Had only driven this thing about 5 miles before this and it was 32 miles back to CW!!  Got on I-10 and was going along just dandy until traffic came to a screeching halt. It was rush hour time!!! Creeped along for miles. When I needed to change lanes, most people would not let me over, so I had to force the issue. I am bigger!!Things continued to go downhill when I took a wrong turn. As soon as I did, I realized that I had screwed up big time. Only solution was go get off the freeway and make my way back to the right road. Easier said than done!!  Got off the freeway, but could find no place to pull over. After about 5 miles, found a closed gas station that had plenty of room for me to pull in. First thing I did was take a deep breathe!
     Programmed my GPS for a route back to CW. Here I am in a 40 foot RV and this damn GPS is taking me down streets that a little VW would avoid!!  Narrow lanes, overhangs, cars parked along side the road, other cars cutting in and out in front of me, making right turns where I was looking down at the car going the opposite way and watching a look of horror on the drivers face. Finally got a chance to call Carol and let her know what was going on. She had lost me a long way back. It seemed the Gods were watching over me as I finally found my way back to the right freeway. Once I got on that I had it made. As soon as I pulled into CW, I pulled over to see if I had done any damage to the RV. Seeing none, I continued to our spot where Carol and Lisa were sitting in the truck. It was a happy reunion.
     Turns out that CW had sent someone to get the RV and he had seen me going the other way on the freeway, so he went back. Had they called over and told me this, I would not have driven it myself. Got to thinking about it and realized that I had no registration on the RV, and no license plate of any kind. Had there been an accident or I had been pulled over, my goose would have been cooked. Guess I should have called CW to see who was supposed to drive. Lesson learned.
     All in all in was a great learning experience. I got into all the situations that I will try to avoid in the future. Can guarantee that it will happen again at some point. I am just lucky that I was not towing the truck!!  No way I would have made some of those right turns!! Yes, our travels are going to be very interesting!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God Alan.... Again I laughed out loud - sounded like an episode on "I love Lucy" be careful you guys... be careful!!!!

    ReplyDelete